Sunday, February 27, 2011

Transplant LA and A promise

So I moved here not too long ago. It was decades in the hoping and years in the making. Many of those years were talking about things that never happened. 5 years ago, I was moving to LA. 4 years ago I was moving to LA. 2 years ago, 1 year ago, in a year I'm moving to LA. Why now? Does it matter?

Isn't the most important thing is that I left? That I am in LA? I think so. The surprise was the support. I don't know what horrible thing that happened in my life for me to believe that people are selfish and horrible because that is wrong. I am not saying everyone is just delight and peachy but many showed their support in my adventure. Many giving their encouragement in the pursuit of my dreams as well as restaurant recommendation and safe travel wishes. It was flattering. Many expressed how bold, daring or frightening my move was and is. That might be true. I am scared. Maybe this is the boldest thing I have ever done but in fairness, there are countless amounts of people here who made the same decision to move from the comfort of home and pursue the adventure of finding and building a new home in Southern California.

As I meet more and more people, it makes the adventure more comforting and at the same time more daunting. It is comfortable to know that I am not the only one but at the same time so many pursuing a dream of stardom that I must question what separates me from the rest.... I don't know.

All I know is that I am not alone and my journey is not better, harder, worse or any different than countless others who seek to live in LA for more than just the weather. People come here to do business, make business, sell something, sell themselves, develop something, become something, be something or be somebody. Maybe I can be somebody. For many reasons and from many different locations, people come move to LA.

I find it funny that many people consistently tell me not to forget the "little people" or "where I came from." I could never forget any people who had an impact on me or forget where I come from. I was born in Ohio, parents from Colombia and friends from everywhere. I am here on the shoulders of many and to forget those people would simply mean I have forgotten myself. If I do anything in this life, it will because of those who have supported me and unfortunately those who doubted me.

It is a shame not all of us can reach the top. It is a shame that we all cannot be stars or even be successful. Maybe that is not the goal and anyone who simply seeks fame and fortune doesn't deserve it. I don't quite know what I want and what I am looking for, but I search every day and I won't stop till I do.

till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment