Thursday, February 24, 2011

Casual Observations 2/24/11


Casual Observations. Today we focus a little on LA and a little on me.

LA doesn't seem like any different place while seeming like a completely different place. Sure there is traffic. There is actually quite a lot of traffic. It takes forever to get anywhere. This doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the few gas stations that are available in the city. My paranoia level goes from green to orange when I am down to my last gallon of gas and I have no idea where to find a gas station. urgh. So was the case a couple of days ago. You think if you drive down a busy street like Santa Monica boulevard there would be more gas stations. No, I was like a duck in water freaking out.

Just a tip if you are driving thru town and you accidentally get stuck in a crosswalk be prepared for angry skater hipsters crossing the street to give a stare down and then menacingly ask you, "what are you looking at." I know, being a car stuck in the crosswalk is a no-no in this town but it was an accident. I was stuck in heavy traffic, at an intersection which forces you to do one of two things of impatience, wait or cross. If you cross then you might not make it across and then you are stuck in the middle, with cars honking, middle fingers waiving and you are the dick that was too impatient to wait. If you successfully cross then you feel like you just won bingo and what's better than winning bingo? If you wait then the people behind you wonder why this asshole (me) isn't pushing it to the limit. I failed in several ways. I crossed but not entirely as I was stuck in the crosswalk which resulted in an angry young man's evil glare. He will probably go off and strangle some pigeon or tell his friends about some jerk who doesn't know that people walk crosswalks. George and I try not to be rude but things like that happen. Good thing I have a moderate threshold for arrogant douchebagery.

Now to something completely different. Why, in LA do women wear black all the time? Is there a special on black clothing here? Are they part of a cult or union that wear black all the time? It's a pandemic. I'm scarred. No it's not just the hipsters who wear layer and layer of black or the pale goth vixens that wear little black to cover their light skin, it's all types of women. While driving the streets on tuesday I tallied 72 woman wearing nothing but black and only 4 women wearing other colors. This study was not professionally handled. It was a relief yesterday to see women out and about wearing some yellow, blue or even white. a relief.

either way, the air of LA is still with me. I love it. Yes, I said "air of LA." It's the equivalent of lofty words or phrases that people use to describe the "energy" of New York City or the "juno se qua" of Paris. I may be a small town kid but I've seen the big city. I am not overwhelmed by all the things LA has and Ohio doesn't because that would just simply be stupid. There are people here, movie theaters, malls, bars, ladies who are scared of chihuahuas and airports. By the way, yes, while walking down the street with one of my mates, a lady turned the corner saw two sweater dressed chihuahuas, clutched my friends arm, said, "oh no" and with giddy fear quickly turned the corner. I had never seen such a little dog evoke so much fear into a person. Maybe she was allergic, maybe she has strange dreams involving her tiny nemesis and some strange scientific sexual torture, or maybe she is just a cat person. I don't know but it was kind of awesome. Yes, i find pleasure it mid 30 year old ladies being frightened by chihuahuas in sweaters. Maybe she is horrified by the dogs fashion sense? hmmm.....

This is a great place. Is it perfect? It doesn't have to be. I'm looking for a home and a life not the holy grail. Oh well. till we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment